Yom Kippour War

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Primers for painting

As of late I have a hell of a time will primers.  They won't stick or rub off.  This is an answer from a face book post.   Good stuff



Hi, ok I do not know Simple Green. This may react with the primer. I also wash my kits, but I take normal dishwashing detergent. Try it.
To the primer. I'm a fan of Creos Procts (Mr. Hobby, Mr, Paeint, Mr. XY ....). They are available in the spray can or in the glass for your own airbrush. I recommend you to try the cans first. When airbrushing yourself, you always need the original thinner. Moreover, cleaning the AB afterwards is always quite expensive. The Creos products are very specialized, from the roughness of the primer or the material of the model (Resine, Metal, Polystyrene etc.).
Also good: the gray primer spray from Tamiya. That's the Swiss army knife the primer, it always works.
And at PE parts of the MR. Hobby Metal Primer. The stuff is so thin that you can apply it directly with the brush. This is also my secret trick at Resine. The material is not always easy to prime. But with the metal primer (only very thinly applied) and afterwards another primer the primer keeps very well.ood stuff

1 comment:

  1. I have always used the Rustoleum stuff on my minis, I make sure to wash and dry them thoroughly and have not any problems. With our recent weather the high humidity tends to make it "gummy" and slow to dry so I wait until there is low humidity and reasonable temps. But I brush paint exclusively with acrylics so this may be the difference.

    As far as Simple Green goes, I know that it works best for me to rinse the model in REALLY hot water and give it a scrub with a soft toothbrush to make sure the Green is gone.

    ReplyDelete