Yom Kippour War

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

General Electric Transportation





12 years ago I had a design position with General Electric in Erie Pa.   My job was was to design parts for the Radiator section of the  Locomotive.    The work at GE was very fast pace.  We had 6 to 8 weeks before the Locomotive was going to be produce.   The design work was challenging with  customer changes during the build.   Some of the programs China Mainland, Poland, Russia, US train companies and last was for Pilbara Mining company in Australia. 

The building I worked in had a lot of history.   It was build in 1911 for making refrigerators.   As I found out the plant produce searchlights for Navy.   Complete turrets for Navy Destroyer. The first production Jet engine for the USAF.  Recently I discovered they made 75 mm Pack Howitzers.

I never knew how much General Electric and the city of Erie Pa contributed to war effort during WW2.


GE produced 75mm

Plant assembly at Erie, Pa








Locomotive I helped design


The train hauling ore was 6 miles long.  The locomotive would only stop for fuel and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment