Yom Kippour War

Friday, February 3, 2023

Printing 3d model for sale

 I have been 3d print for 4yrs now. First of all your not going to get rich doing it for a living.  Basically gamers are cheap.  The amount of money I have in vested in printers and material is a lot. That the stl files,  Kickstarter is the only way to go. It is cheaper than purchasing individual files.  But I have to spend a $120 per campaign to have the license to print for sale.

  Next the current machine is obsolete in 6 months.  Not being the brightest I would upgrade the printer.  Not a smart move.  Basically a new one has all the upgrades that make your life easy.  I can't tell you how may hours I have spent just leveling the print bed .  For no good reason the bed always loose it level.

After that when a print goes to crap.  It could be a list of problems that add up in replacement parts. The filament is another crap shoot.  The brand I was using had a bad run.  Ruined prints and hours trying to find a fix.  Oh, than your slicing software has an updated.  Talk about loosing it...

 Last but not least. Customer go dark on you. Don't even reply to your emails.  After being hosed a few times. It postal money order or certified bank check.  Nothing like getting fined from your bank because the check was made out of the goodyear rubber.

 My profit is about 10% of the total cost...  Never going to get rich as a 3d printing baron.


That's my rant for today.

2 comments: